Recently attended Abstractions Conference in Pittsburgh. This was my first software-only conference. A few quick highlights from the convention:
- While I have no particular application in mind yet, Elixir sounds intriguing. For embedded systems, Nerves sound neat but maybe not quite ready for prime time.
- Joe Armstrong's idea of ubiquitous solar powered computing devices is quite interesting.
- Ingy döt Net gave a great talk on YAML (which he invented). Really enjoyed his presentation style.
- Lara Schenck gave a insightful talk on WordPress consulting. Took away some solid advise from her talk.
- Laurie Voss gave a talk which was basically a whirlwind tour of npm. I really appreciate the cumulative problem-solving that went into npm; it's a great package manager.
- Brad Frost gave a great talk on design. Atomic Design is a neat philosophy!
- While a bit outside my wheelhouse, Kubernetes looks cool :)
- I met at least two people using Haskell in production!